Thursday, April 2, 2009

Clustering Into Isolationism?



I am currently reading a book by a guy named Bill Bishop entitled “The Big Sort: Why the Clustering of Like-Minded America Is Tearing Us Apart”. The basic premise that he is putting forth is that for the past 30 to 40 years, America has been slowly migrating into more and more isolated enclaves of like-mindedness. Simply put, we choose to live, work and shop around those people we are most comfortable with, i.e. people just like us. This therefore robs us of the ability to empathize with those of differing perspectives on social and political issues, thereby causing deeper polarization in society at large.

From what I have read so far, it is a little bit too heavily weighted in the political analysis side of things. (I guess I was hoping for more of a pure sociological study.) I am still making up my mind whether or not I buy into what he is selling about the culture at large. I don’t know if I am smart enough or observant enough to offer a viable alternative. One thing I have been struck with though is how I have recognized what he is talking about in the church.

Now Bishop takes this so far as to insinuate that likeminded denominations of believers is potentially a bad thing. Admittedly there are devastating effects of how denominations fracture the larger body of Christ. But I don’t think I would end up at the same place he does, basically because I am coming from a different starting point. Likeminded believers gathering together in worship with those from a similar theological perspective or world view is a perfectly valid expression of choice.

However, where I do believe his insights offer a valid critique is when it comes to our thinking and interactions with those outside of the faith. His comment on page 39 of his book is revealing. “We now live in a giant feedback loop, hearing our own thoughts about what’s right and wrong bounced back to us by the television shows we watch, the newspapers and books we read, the blogs we visit online, the sermons we hear, and the neighborhoods we live in.”

We do not identify with those individuals outside of our faith communities because we do not interact with people outside of those communities. Several years ago my wife’s aunt asked a question that kind of hurt. She asked, “Do you guys have any friends at all who are not in your church?” Exactly.

When it comes to loving non-Christians, we are handicapped by our own isolationism. We have become (sorry, this might sting a little) inbred. Please do not hear me standing on a soap box bashing Christ’s bride. I am looking squarely in the mirror as I humbly put forth this critique.

So what do we do? I would suggest that we simply follow the path laid out by none other than Christ himself. Pursue the faithless, being authentically strategic with whom we spend our time. If my in-law’s question fits, then make purposeful shifts. Actually befriend non-believers, people can tell the difference between when they are being loved well and when they are being treated like a project. In the knowledge of the love and grace with which we have been pursued by a Father's wreckless love, let us then pursue with wreckless abandon those whom that same Father is placing in our path. Show people love as we have been shown love.

Also, we must enter into these relationships with the expectation that non-believers are going to live and act like, well, non-believers. It is not at all loving to impose our own standards on those who have not yet been brought into light. That is probably a whole blog entry by itself.

So one final question, who are you inviting to dinner at your house Saturday night? Feed them, and love them, well.

No comments:

Post a Comment